The MAcc internship is a 1.0 credit program requirement* and is designed to ensure that students apply their course learning in a practical setting. The internship provides valuable experience, further preparing graduates for a successful career in the professional accounting field. This work experience may be credited towards CPA Ontario’s 30-month practical work experience requirement. Upon achieving the CPA designation, employment opportunities are extensive and wide ranging. Further information on CPA Ontario’s Practical Experience Requirements can be found on their website.
To date, 100% of our students have secured internships!
*Students can apply for an exemption from the internship if they have a minimum of one year full-time professional accounting experience. Experience will be evaluated and verified by the Sprott School of Business before an exemption will be provided.
How It Works
- Full-time students enroll in ACCT 5199 during the fall term following their first summer of full-time study
- Part-time students who do not qualify for an exemption from the Internship will be required to complete their internship (one term) before graduating from the MAcc program. The term is subject to full-time tuition fees
- A minimum of 480 hours (equivalent to 14 weeks @ 7 hours per day) is required. Please note that this is the minimum requirement and the majority of students complete 8 month work-terms (September – April).
- Students seeking help to secure an internship are expected to meet to discuss resume, cover letter and conduct at least one mock interview. Those who enter the program with a position secured are not required to attend these appointments.
- Positions will be posted to the mySprott portal in early May, following our annual MAcc Wine & Cheese recruiting event.
- While the MAcc office provides many resources for students to be successful, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure an Internship position that meets the eligibility requirements
Please note, students may opt to seek a position using their own network/job search. Approval of the position must be obtained from the MAcc Office.
International students must apply for a co-op work permit (no fee) and a Social Insurance Number. A letter from the MAcc Office will be provided in support of this application. Information on the application process can be found through Carleton’s International Student Services Office.
In Ontario, mandatory internships have flexibility with regards to compensation. The majority of our students secure paid positions however some students have benefited from unpaid experiences with non-profit organizations.
MAcc Career Services
We provide a variety of services tailored to MAcc students to ensure they are confident and well prepared for a successful employment search, interview process and career transition.
Our services include:
- Job postings for MAcc internships and career opportunities
- One-on-one employment/career advising sessions
- Targeted resume and cover letter review
- Mock interviews
- Employment search workshops
- Access to Sprott’s career web portal to view/apply to job postings
- Employer information sessions
- Employer/student networking events
If you have any questions regarding the internship, please contact email@example.com
“The MAcc Internship provided a great opportunity for me to combine my studies with the real-life experience. It has allowed me to hone my skills, especially those in my field of study, practice public speaking, and perform actual audit project with experienced auditors. I really value this experience and want to say thank you to everyone in the MAcc program.” — Ensen, MAcc ’16.
Sample of Recent Employers
- McCay Duff LLP
- McIntyre & Associates Professional Corporation
- MD Financial Management
- Mitel Networks
- Office of the Auditor General (City of Ottawa)
- PwC, PricewaterhouseCoopers, LLP
- RCGT Consulting Inc.
- Rideauwood Addiction and Family Services
- The Ottawa Hospital
- Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
- Welch LLP
- YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region