The Sprott MBA Internship
This dynamic program gives you the opportunity to gain real-world work experience while completing your degree. You will graduate with a competitive advantage and a head start to achieving your career goals.
The 16-week summer internship allows you to extend learning outside the classroom and apply knowledge in a business environment. Completion of the MBA internship program is mandatory* for MBA students who have less than two years of professional work experience.
*You can apply for an exemption from the internship program if you have more than two years of professional experience. Your experience will be evaluated and verified before an exemption will be provided. Professional experience is defined as having held a managerial position, having a professional designation, or positions which include responsibility for communicating, leading/motivating, planning, organizing, decision making, and delivering/presenting results.
How It Works
- Students enroll in the MBA Internship course (BUSI 5999) as a full-time student in the summer term. This term is subject to full-time tuition fees as the MBA Internship Program is a mandatory academic requirement for full-time students with less than two years of professional experience.
- A typical MBA internship is 16 weeks in length and consists of full-time hours.
- Salary for internship placements varies and depends on the organization and student experience.
- Students begin preparing for the internship at the onset of the MBA program.
- Students are expected to meet with the MBA Internship Coordinator to discuss resume, experience, concentration and career aspirations.
- The MBA Internship Coordinator will assist with career skills, offer career-related advice and present internship opportunities to the MBA students.
- It is the responsibility of MBA students to capitalize on the opportunities presented by the MBA Internship Coordinator and to secure an internship position.
- International students must apply for a work permit (no fee) and a Social Insurance Number. Information on the application process can be found through Carleton’s International Student Services Office.
- Students must successfully complete the internship and respective course report in order to graduate from the MBA program as it is an academic requirement of the program.
MBA Career Services
We provide a range of professional development opportunities tailored to MBA students and designed to help you develop life-long career management practices. Our goal is to ensure Sprott MBA students are confidently equipped to succeed in the employment search, interview process and transition to career.
Our services include:
- Job postings for MBA career opportunities and MBA internships
- Sprott’s career web portal to post resumes, view job postings and events
- Resume and cover letter assistance
- Employer information sessions
- Employer/student networking events
- Mock interviews with business professionals (video recorded)
- One-on-one interview analysis and feedback
- Guest speakers on career-related subjects
- Employment search strategies
Below is a list of organizations where Sprott MBA students have recently completed internships.
- A&E Holdings
- Accreditation Canada
- Agricultural Bank of China
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Bank Audi – Lebanon
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian Medical Association
- Carleton University Sustainability Office
- CBC Pension Fund
- CGI Consulting
- Commissionaires (National)
- Commissionaires (Ottawa)
- Competition Bureau
- Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
- E&Y Advisory
- Free the Children
- Guy Carpenter Reinsurance
- Health Canada
- Human Resource and Skills Development Canada
- IBM Extreme Blue
- Industry Canada
- ING Engineering
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- Kelly Santini
- Leenan Oriental Development
- Library of Parliament
- Linda Sun & Co
- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – Toronto FC
- New Market Group
- North American Plant Protection Organization
- Pemco Inc.
- Public Private Partnerships Canada
- Radio Advisory Board of Canada
- RBC Asset Management
- Remote Energy Security Technologies Collaborative
- Rockwell Collins
- Rogers House
- Saatchi & Saatchi (Sri Lanka)
- Scotiabank Commercial Services
- Siemens Ltd.
- Social Game Universe
- St. Francis Herb Farm
- Taihan Electric Wire Ltd, Co. (Venezuela)
- Thomas & Fenn Trading Ltd
- Tin Bo Travel
- United Way
- US Embassy – US Commercial Service
- VSF Global