Bachelor of International Business
The ultimate international business education
Sprott’s one-of-a-kind Bachelor of International Business (Honours) was created in direct response to the growing need highly skilled professionals with the background and training to help companies succeed in the global marketplace.
The program courses provide a foundation of business fundamentals and build on that foundation with specialized courses in international business. In addition, you’ll become fluent in another language , develop cross-cultural skills and graduate with a year of first-hand international experience.
Plus, Carleton is ideally located in Canada’s capital of Ottawa – home to the federal Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, Export Development Corporation, global companies and over 130 embassies and high commissions representing countries around the world!
Intensive language training
In the first two years of the program, you will take intensive language courses in your choice of six languages: French, German, Japanese, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, or Portuguese.
Full year abroad
In third year, you’ll spend a full academic year studying in another country at one of our partner institutions to increase your cultural awareness and improve fluency in your chosen language. You’ll pay Carleton tuition fees and receive academic credit for successfully completed courses.
3 concentrations for further specialization
You can focus your degree by selecting one of three concentrations, or complete your program without a concentration
- Global Financial Management and Systems
- International Marketing and Trade
- International Strategy and International Human Resources Management
At Sprott, we offer many opportunities both in and outside the classroom to develop valuable skills and experiences that will help set you apart to employers. In particular, check out the following opportunities!
Sprott students take part in major national and international interuniversity case competitions, achieving top place finishes against the best business students in the world. Through Sprott Competes, students receive advanced case training and coaching by dedicated faculty members and industry partners. Students develop employer-valued skills such as integrative thinking, communication, problem solving, team work and the ability to work under pressure.
A select group of top finance students actively manage The Fund@Sprott, gaining real money management experience. Alumni of the Fund have gone onto careers in investment banking and financial services at such organizations as Barra MSCI, Morgan Stanley, TD Waterhouse, RBC Capital Markets, Brookfield Asset Management, Bank of Canada and Export Development Canada.
More about BIB!
- BIB student Kendra Thorogood learned first-hand about the impacts of microfinance in developing countries through an internship with Grameen Bank in Bangladesh. Check out Kendra’s blog!
- Read our student blogs to follow third year BIB students during their year abroad.
- In the course Managing Globalization in Emerging Economies (BUSI 4717), students prepare poster presentations on business opportunities for Canada in emerging economies. Read about their research and poster fair!
- View Carleton’s International Exchange brochure (PDF)