BIB Study Abroad Requirement

To satisfy the BIB Study Abroad Requirement, each BIB student must have, on their BIB audit, a minimum of 4.0 approved Carleton credits successfully completed during the year of study abroad (this includes BUSI 3700), with a minimum of 1.0 credit taught in the BIB language.

Please note:  Carleton’s Registrars Office will register you into BUSI 3700 (Cross-Cultural Communication).  BUSI 3700 is a 0.5-credit course, taught on-line by a Carleton instructor, that runs the entire length of your time abroad.   You will receive an email from the instructor shortly before the course begins.

Course Selection

Know your Academic Audit (from Carleton Central) so you can clearly see the outstanding Items on your Audit. Courses taken while abroad must be able to fit into the outstanding Items.

To help you in your course selection, please consider courses taken in the past by Carleton students who’ve studied at the same host institution, found on our Course Equivalency database.

The BIB Audit has Items designed to accommodate the large variety of courses BIB students take abroad. Approved courses from abroad will be transferred to these Items:

  • The bracketed areas in Major #5 and in the Concentrations, which say [May include an approved course taken during the year abroad]. Up to 2.5 credits could potentially fit into these bracketed areas. For the last Item of the Concentration, non-direct-equivalent courses such as ECON 3xxx, EURR 3xxx, LAWS 3xxx, PSCI 3xxx, etc. could be approved if appropriate to the Concentration.
  • Any direct equivalents to outstanding courses in the Major and in the Concentration (except Major #4: The two capstone courses Ethics and Strategy must be taken at Carleton)
  • Courses at the host institution that interest you!  Approved courses will sit in Major (Items 6, 7, or 8) or Electives, wherever they best fit.

Do NOT register for courses on exchange that are:

  • equivalent to BUSI 4709 or BUSI 4609. Strategic Management must be taken at Carleton in Fourth Year.
  • equivalent to BUSI 4705 or BUSI 4601. Business Ethics must be taken at Carleton in Fourth Year.
  • equivalent to a course you’ve already taken
  • similar in content to a course you’ve already taken

Course Approval Process

There are five steps to the course approval process. You will need to complete this process TWO times – at the start of the each semester abroad, complete these 5 steps.

  1. Submit the courses you’re interested in taking for the first semester abroad to Carleton Central (Student Online Applications: Outgoing International Exchange). The prompts are: 1-Add Courses.  2-List Courses. 3- Create Course. 4 – Is this a business course?
    • Tip 1: As you make your preliminary course selection, check the Registrar Office’s Database of Equivalents to see courses taken in the past by Carleton students who’ve studied at your host institution.
    • Tip 2: When the question pops up ‘Is the course you are about to enter a business course?’ please indicate ‘Yes’ only if it’s a business course. If the course is Economics, Law,  Language, History, etc. please indicate ‘No’.
    • Tip 3: If you take a ‘summer’ Language course at your host institution before the First Semester begins, please submit this language course with your other First Semester courses. Please scan/email the Diploma/Certificate showing completion of the course to
  2. Check the Carleton Central site regularly to see which courses have been deemed ‘acceptable’ for you.
  3. Register into courses at the host institution, using the host institution’s process, instructions, deadlines.
  4. Go back on Carleton Central, and confirm which courses you’re actually registered into (Checkmark the ‘Confirm Registration’ boxes).
  5. Submit the Exchange Course Approval Form, showing all the courses you’re taking (even if the courses haven’t been assessed yet – Step 2). This form is used to actually ‘load’ the Exchange courses (CEX = ‘Current on Exchange’) onto your Audit. If you have questions about the Approval Form (Step 5) please email bib@sprott.carleton.caPlease check Carleton’s database of equivalents at the host institution to see if the courses you submitted are on this list.

Transcripts from Exchange

Before you leave to return home, please ensure that the host institution will be sending your transcript directly to Carleton. You are strongly advised to also make arrangements to have an original transcript sent to you at your home address in Canada as well. This transcript will be important should you apply for graduate school in the future.

After your transcripts have been received by Carleton, your approved, successfully-completed courses will then be transferred by the Registrar’s Office as EXC (Exchange) credits. Failed courses will be transferred as UNS (Unsatisfactory).

If there are discrepancies between the Transcript and the Exchange Course Approval Form, the Transcript will be the official source for the credit transfer.

Transcripts from Host Institution to be sent to:
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6

Attn: Exchange Program Coordinator
International Student Services Office
128 University Centre

Tel: +1 (613) 520-2519