Full-time and Part-time Admission Requirements
- Bachelor and Masters degree in business or a related field with a minimum average of A- (i.e. 80%)
- GMAT score of 600
- Proficiency in English Test (please see below)
- A number of years of work experience is desirable
- Basic knowledge of statistics and at least two of the following areas of management:
- Information Systems
- International Business
- Admission into the PhD program will be judged primarily on the applicant’s ability to undertake research successfully and her/his prospects for completion of the program.
To complete your application, you need to provide:
A) GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) – A MINIMUM score of 600 is required to apply for the Sprott PhD
- The GMAT score is valid for five years. If your GMAT score is more than five years old at the time of application you must re-take the GMAT test.
- We strongly encourage applicants to register as quickly as possible with the GMAT test centre as it can take several weeks to receive test scores.
- The Sprott School of Business requires that ALL APPLICANTS submit GMAT test scores, regardless of degrees attained or years of professional work experience.
- For test and location information please refer to www.mba.com. Our Institution Code for the PhD in Management Program is 36KNQ43.
- Official scores are mailed to the university by the organization that administers the GMAT.
- An equivalent GRE (Graduate Record Exam) score can substitute for the GMAT. To calculate your equivalent GRE score, you can use the GRE Comparison Table for Business Schools.
B) English Proficiency Test
If you have not studied for the last three years (full-time, non-ESL) in a university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any other country in which the primary language is English and where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was exclusively English, you will be required to meet the minimum language admission requirements by submitting your test score in either the CAEL, TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency tests:
- CAEL minimum score required is 70
- TOEFL score of 580 (paper based test); or 86 IBT overall with a minimum score in each component of: writing: 22; speaking: 22; reading: 20; and listening: 20. (Our Institution Code is 0854 and Department Code is 02)
- IELTS score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in each band score
- English Proficiency Test scores are valid for two years. If your score is more than two years old at the time of application you must re-take the test.
- Official scores are mailed to the university by the organization that administers the English Proficiency Test.
- All applications must be supported by letters of recommendation from at least two faculty members with whom the candidate has studied, who are in a position to assess his/her potential for graduate studies and research.
- References from non-academic supervisors are not ordinarily acceptable.
D) Academic Transcripts
- One set of transcripts of your entire university record to date are required.
- All foreign documents, e.g., transcripts, must be translated into English.
E) Statement of Interest Form
- The Statement of Interest Form can be found on the online application form.
The next admission cycle is for Fall 2020 and the application deadline is January 25, 2020.
Notification of Acceptance
Complete applications for both domestic and international students will be processed in the early part of 2020. A PhD Admissions Committee consisting of faculty members reviews applications. You will be notified in writing in early Spring 2020 once a decision is made.