Changing your Program Elements
Adding or dropping a concentration or minor to your BCom or BIB degree is considered a Change of Program Elements (COPE) request. The Sprott School offers 8 concentrations in BCom and 3 concentrations in BIB that you can choose from.
You can also choose to complete your BCom or BIB degree without a concentration.
If you’re uncertain about which concentration to select – please consult with a business career coordinator in the Business Career Management Centre (BCMC) to explore your interests/fit for career prospects in concentration related fields.
Your academic advisor will
- Review a “what if” audit in your proposed concentration(s) to identify new program requirements and help you understand how making the change will impact your course planning and degree completion.
- Ensure that you are in good standing (based on CGPAs) in your new program elements in order to be eligible to make the change.
Please note that:
o You need to have at least 4.0 credits complete before you can add or drop a concentration.
o If you want to add a second concentration, you need to have at least 6.0 credits complete and an Overall CGPA of 8.00.
Once you’ve made your decision – you are responsible for submitting your request using the online COPE form to the Registrar’s Office
How to access COPE:
- Login to Carleton Central
- Under ‘Student Online Applications’ you will see a link called ‘Change of Program Elements.’ Click on that link
- You will see a summary of your current program elements. Read through the information and click ‘Change Program Elements’
- Make the changes you would like to your degree. Click ‘Submit Changes’
- Your request will be sent to the Registrar’s Office for approval
*Please note that if your change of program elements was approved, you will not receive written communication from the Registrar’s Office. You will need to check your audit to confirm that the request was approved.
If your application was not approved, you will receive written communication through your Carleton email explaining the reason for refusal for the changes.
Adding a Minor
Students in BCom and BIB are only permitted to add minors from departments outside of the School of Business.